Lowcountry Getaway

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Last night as I was putting the finishing touches on my blog post for today I realized that I didn't do a recap of my Lowcountry adventures! Honestly, I don't know why I would have done that, since the South Carolina coast is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and I say that completely objectively.

When I first arrived at the beach my family and I had a birthday celebration for my grandma, who just turned 86! We relaxed on the front porch, ate cake, and soaked up tons of sun. For an adventure on Tuesday we took a little road trip to see the Angel Oak tree, which is a 400-year old tree between Charleston and Beaufort. There's me in the bottom right corner just to give you an idea of how big it is!

On the way back we also visited a roadside shop that had tons of fresh hydrangeas and all the different kinds of berries you could wish for!


On Wednesday we all got to get out on the boat (finally!) and cruise around the back creeks of Edisto. Nothing can be better than being on the water, don't you think? There's something so nice about being in the middle of nature with the crabs, dolphin, fish, and pelicans.

Later in the week my mom and I grabbed lunch with my aunt at a roadside restaurant called Lowcountry Produce. I had been there before and again it didn't disappoint. Not only does the shop have great food, it also has fresh fruits and veggies that they grow on site available for purchase on its front porch. A chicken even came and said hello when we walked in! I couldn't get enough of their sign too! How southern can you get?




A highlight of the vacation, no doubt, was being able to visit my friend Lanie from Classically Current at her family's vineyard, September Oaks Vineyard! When we drove down the driveway I felt like I couldn't get any more "old south" if I tried. A winding dirt drive, sky scraping oaks, and spanish moss greeted us at the vineyard, and we had a wine tasting before Lanie met us. I've never considered myself a wine person, but everything was delicious!



On from September Oaks, Mom and I drove down to Beaufort where we stayed with my aunt. That evening we chatted in her garden, walked out on the dock, and soaked in the beauty of low tide.



 Though I can get a bit blue on the last day of vacation, Mom, my aunt, and I took a trip out to Hunting Island the morning we left, which is a place unlike any other. The beach is long and wide, different from the usually hilly and short South Carolina beaches, and squishy pluff mud and trees litter the sand. A perfect ending to a great week. I'm already itching to go back!

1 comment :

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun! And mmmm, those watermelons look good!

    simplytheens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete