The five-year plan

Thursday, August 28, 2014

I live for lists. I love lists and plans and organization, even if the stuff under that tend to be a bit messy. I enjoy the moments when, even if something isn't the way it should be now, that later on I can make it...made. Maybe not perfect, but the way it should be. That's what scares me a bit about my "five-year plan."

For those readers in college or just out of college, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Whether it is in interviews or ice breakers in the first weeks of classes, you have to have an answer, or at least an idea, of what you want from your five-year plan. I've never had a solid, concrete five-year plan, which, as a list-maker and planner to the core, should have worried me. But it really didn't. With my life I've tried to be conscious about taking logical steps, but letting the overall goal be flexible, since even I know that I can't control everything.

Now I sit in my bed, in my parents' house, almost four months after graduation...and I'm getting a little nervous. I'm not in control even though I feel like I'm grasping at it, and it isn't far out of reach. My vision of my five-year plan has become almost crystalized in my mind. I know exactly what I want in five years...but as for the path? I have no idea how to get there. Career-minded me seemed to forget to plan the steps in my career. Oops.

I can't write this post as a tutorial. I'm currently living in this mini state of unrest, as melodramatic as that sounds. Otherwise, I'm doing just fine. My friends are great, my jobs (yes, plural - woo!) are fine, and I'm healthy and safe. I like to use this blog as a diary from time to time, just to check in. I'll make sure to write back when the five-year plan clears up.

What about you? How are you doing? I hope everything is wonderful in your neck of the woods.

No comments :

Post a Comment