True Friendship

Friday, May 17, 2013

I was reading this article by College Prep the other day and it made me start thinking about my friends. I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem making friends. The kind of friends that you message on Facebook to see what's going on, or the friend you hang out with during class, and maybe a lunch or two afterwards. When I got to college, first at the College of Charleston, was the first time I've had a hard time finding a true good friend. A best friend.

I think there are two types of people out there: the type that makes lots of good friends and the type that has one or two best friends. There's the type that spends $10 on Christmas gifts for each of their friends, or the type that spends $50 (or more...oops!) on one or two friends for their birthdays. I'm definitely a best friend type of girl. Not saying I don't have other friends, but generally I'm really close with one or two people and that's about it. I used to hate that about myself, but I'm learning to respect that that's just how I am. I can't change it. My sister, on the other hand, is the type with lots of friends. I wouldn't have called her a "popular" girl in school, but she always had a group to hang out with. That's one of the perks of being in a group - there's generally always someone to hang out with.


Not saying that either is better than the other. At Charleston I had a really hard time because, unfortunately, I had a falling out with my former best friend. My mom and I have always been close, but at school I had these "let's go to lunch" friends, and not much else. I felt alone. That, among other things, factored into my decision to transfer to the University of South Carolina. At USC I met some friends right off the bat, but again, not a best friend. It wasn't until sophomore year that I met one of my best friends, Mevy. Someone that I can share everything with.




Now with leaving London so close on the horizon, I can see who amongst my London friends I'll stay close with. We all meet people that come in and out of our lives. In this case it's like all these people are  thrown at us, and we have to find the really good ones that stick. I may not keep up with all of these people for the rest of my life, but I'll be able to look at my pictures and remember how much fun we all had together.

With only a week left in Londontown, I can't wait to squeeze in as many last-minute experiences I can with friends that may or may not stick, but who will share these memories forever. Here goes nothing!

1 comment :

  1. This post just described my life. I'm definitely a "best friend" type of person and have never had a million friends. And I totally also had a rough time when I started college because all I had was 2 "friends" which really meant people to eat with in the dining hall. Sometimes all you need is that 1 best friend and you're good to go!!

    Alexa
    apstonee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete