Calligraphy

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

For my birthday this year my sister got me a calligraphy set. I've never been much of a drawer or sketcher, though I do spend a lot of time in class doing exactly that (oops). I had been wanting to take an online calligraphy class for a while, but with the $100 price tag, I just never got around to it. I could always find something else that needed those funds. You know, shoes, purses, clothes, etc. The important things.

To be honest, when she first got it for me, I was thankful, but also a little bummed because I really wanted to take the online class, and now there was absolutely no reason for me to take it. I knew I'd use the kit eventually, so I brought it with me to my new house and stuck it up on a shelf. Last night after watching too much television I opened it up. And calligraphy is SO FUN! I practiced and practiced for about two hours. I've always had neat handwriting, so I figured it wouldn't be really hard, but I was definitely wrong.


I loved calligraphy before, but I have a newfound appreciation for calligraphers who spend their days perfecting their art. I never knew how important it is to hold the pen a certain way, draw a certain way on the page (towards, not away from yourself), and all the different types of tools and utensils you can use!

Right now I'm learning a "medieval" font, but I can't wait to try out some more modern fonts too!

So now, for your visual pleasure, some gorgeous calligraphy:




No comments :

Post a Comment