Lies I've told myself

Saturday, August 9, 2014

You know what I'm talking about. It's nighttime and you're winding down by reading your Bloglovin' feed. The bloggers and their apartments and their puppies and food all look so perfect, all the while you're sitting in an oversized t-shirt and Nike shorts with your hair pulled into a messy bun on the top of your head. You had cold pizza for dinner. You're in bed and you haven't written tomorrow's blog post. You have no idea what tomorrow's blog post will be. To say you're feeling a little inferior would be an understatement.

This is almost a nightly thing for me. To compare wouldn't be fair - I know that these bloggers' lives aren't perfect, but I know I can make mine better, if only by pushing myself! Right? All I need to do is dedicate myself and tell myself to take little steps towards the life I want. Easy!

Nope.

I start out with good intentions every time I make a promise, but little by little the "lies to self" start piling up. I don't hold them against myself, though I probably should. I make plans, then change plans...then decide that those plans weren't that great in the first place.

Want examples? Oh, I'll give you examples.


01 I'm going to finish this book in two weeks - that's only 30 pages per day. Easy.
02 As soon as I finish this apple I'm going for a run. I can't exercise on an empty stomach!
03 I'm just going to have one big dry cleaning day.
04 This week I'll go the whole week without soda.
05 That sweater belongs in my closet. It's calling my name!
06 No going out to lunch for the next three days.
07 There's no way yoga can be that hard. I can so do that.
08 She didn't hear the phone ring. That's why she's not answering.
09 Why are there no wedges left in a size 8.5? I can squeeze into a size 8 - it's not that big a difference.
 10 This week I'm going to bed by midnight every night.
11 Those headphones are so cute! I'll save $100 for two months to get them. No problem!
12 I can definitely finish this blog post in 30 minutes.

*DISCLAIMER: #12 may or may not have been repeated tonight

No comments :

Post a Comment